Excel/Dates

Question
Date
Date  
Hi Tom,

First, I want to thank you for the help with my other question! I need help with one other thing. I have three columns. The first A:A is "Date Reported" the second L:L is "Severity" and the third T:T is "Fix Due Date". In the Severity column I have a data validation list that only allows them to select 'Major' 'Minor' and 'Critical'... In the Fix Due Date column I have the formula =IF(L2="Critical",NA(),"")... so that N/A apears automatically if someone chooses Critical (because fix due date only applies to Major and Minor problems).. I would like to make it so that when someone chooses a severity, the Fix Due Date column will automatically put in the dates that it needs to be fixed by. Major problems have to be fixed within 30 calander days after the "Date Reported" and Minor problems have to be fixed by 180 days after the "Date Reported"... Is there a way that I can make a formula that would be able to determine what Due Date it will assign depending on what Severity someone chooses... All while keeping my IF statement fornmula in there so that it still reads N/A if someone chooses Critical?

Thank you! I really appreciate your help Tom!

Answer
Kathryn,

You can use a nested IF Formula.  Right now, if L2 <> Critical, then you show "".  But instead of showing "", do the next check.  Check if L2="Major"  if Not true then Check if L2="Minor" if not true, then none of the conditions are true so show the "".   In each case, if true, then show the desired result - NA() or A2+30 or A2+180 depending on L2.  

=IF(L2="Critical",NA(),IF(L2="Major",A2+30,If(L2="Minor",A2+180,"")))

the cell with the formula should be formatted as Date.  the NA() and "" will ignore the formatting.

--
regards,
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy