Excel/remove "*" from cell

Question
Hello Richard,

Hope you are fine.

I have some cells with number and some are number and * ending
e.g as below

34
685
415*
12
47*
3*
102
1526*
179
547*

i want to use formula in such a way that if cell contain "*" then
"*" should be removed and remaining number in cell should display and, if no "*" in cells , then the same number should come in adjusting column

Please see the outcome as below

34          34
685          685
415*         415
12          12
47*          47

I tried with find and replace option in excel but all data gets disappears.

Thanks
Rakesh

Answer
RAKESH

Before we go into a formula, have you tried the "text to columns" feature
You can use this feature to eliminate the asterisk.
The txt to columns is found on your data toolbar.  to use it, highlight the cells that you want to fix,  then clic on text to columns, then choose delimited then next, under delimiters leave the tab box checked and clic on other and put an asterisk in the box, then clic finish.  That will do it.   If your numbers are in a column you can do this with the entire column. You should also have an empty cell to the right of the numbers you are converting, or excel will want to fill the cell to the right with the asterisk that you are eliminating.

Hope this works for you.

richard
Florida
USA
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts