Excel/RUNNING TOTALS

Question
I have 160 worksheets each for a different account.  I have a running total (balance) on each account.  Each running total is the same Column H.

Is there a way to sum all the running totals into one cell so that I have a total balance for all the accounts?

My problem seems to be how to make it select the last entry in the running total column H from each worksheet.  As entries are made on each worksheet the running total is bumped down to the next row.

Any way to tell excel to take the last cell in that column with info and sum it?  Then it would just take the last running total from each account.  Does this make sense to you?

Thank you for you assistance.

Answer
Hi Marie,

Thank you for the question.

As this question is so involved, I recommend using this link to help you figure out exactly what you wish to accomplish with this task.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff700515%28v=office.14%29.aspx
http://web.pdx.edu/~stipakb/CellRefs.htm

Relative vs. Absolute Cell References in Spreadsheets

In working with spreadsheets, you need to know about relative vs. absolute cell references.

Here is the issue: when you COPY A FORMULA that contains cell references, what happens to the cell references?

Usually the CELL REFERENCES will CHANGE! If you copy a formula 2 rows to the right, then the cell references in the formula will shift 2 cells to the right. If you copy a formula 3 rows down and 1 row left, then the cell references in the formula will shift 3 rows down and 1 row left. These are called "relative" cell references, since they change relative to where you copy the formula.

If you do not want cell references to change when you copy a formula, then make those cell references absolute cell references. Place a "$" before the column letter if you want that to always stay the same. Place a "$" before a row number if you want that to always stay the same. For example, "$C$3" refers to cell C3, and "$C$3" will work exactly the same as "C3", expect when you copy the formula. Note: when entering formulas you can use the F4 key right after entering a cell reference to toggle among the different relative/absolute versions of that cell address.

The trick in creating spreadsheets is deciding before you copy a formula what cell references in the formula you want to be relative and what you want to be absolute. If some cell references refer to input cells in the spreadsheet, you usually want those cells to be absolute.

Hope this helps you resolve the issue.

Kind regards,

Mary Lindsey
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Mary A. Lindsey