Excel/Make it stop changing stuff

Question
How can I keep excel from auto adjusting values I've already choosen? Like I tried to put in "12/29" as the month and day, and have the cells under general formating, and it changes it to "29-Dec" which I didn't ask for it to do, and when I look at the type bar it includes the current year as the date it is giving it, which isn't even the year I am refering to. How can I tell it to not change a thing? I am using Office 2010 I think. Whatever comes with Windows 7.

Answer
To stop Excel from changing 12/29 into 29-Dec you have to specify a custom format. Right-click, Format Cells, and then pick a date format.

As far as the year goes, that's another default. If you don't give Excel a year, it assumes the current year. You MUST have a year to have a valid date format. If you don't want that, then format your cell as TEXT and you can input whatever you like, but you'll lose the ability to do things like date calculations and sorts.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Rost