Excel/summation symbol in excel

Question
Tom good morning!   is there a way to choose say twelve different cells in a worksheet and use the summation tool to give their sum  these twelve could be anywhere in a random manner

after picking up the last one, should you first select the cell where you want the result  to be posted
thank you    I have excel 2010

Answer
aamir,

No - what you describe is not supported.   If you just want to see the sum, without entering a sum formula in the cell, you should be able to see it in the lower right border of excel.  But assuming you want a sum formula in a cell then

You could go to the cell (select the cell) where you want the sum and go to the formula bar.  Type in

=Sum{

then use the mouse to select all the cells, then hit enter (excel will put in the closing parenthesis).

That would be about a close as you could get to what you describe unless you wanted to write a macro.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy