Excel/VBA or index and match

Hi Tom

I have a workbook that contains 4 worksheets.  The first worksheet “Sheet2rng” contains the data for three year groups in a school: years 7, 8 and 9.

There are three other worksheets: “PON7”, “PON8” and “PON9”
The column headings are broadly the same in all worksheets.

I would like all of the relevant information about year 7, 8 and 9 to populate worksheets “PON7”, “PON8” and “PON9” respectively.
Is there VBA code that can do this? Or, would the most efficient method be with formulas?

Would you object to me sending the workbook to you?
Thanks in advance.

Chris Mitchell

Chris Mitchell,

the choice between macro and formulas would depend on what you prefer and what works.  You would probably need array formulas if you used formulas and depenending on how many and how many cells they have to address, they can cause calculation to be slow (but if small enough, then the effect is marginal).  The advantage is that when you change the Sheet2rng data, they would update.  

VBA you would have to run to get your separate sheets.  If I wrote the code, then I would write it to clear all the data in a PON sheet and rewrite it.  

Also term "broadly the same" is a bit disconcerting.  

Also, have you considered using a pivot Table or a filter?  

Anyway, you can send me the workbook with whatever information you need to provide.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.