Excel/appending data to another worbook using VBA

Question
Hi Tom
I have excel 2007
In the past I have just been appending the data I want to store to a worksheet on my workbook as push button.

Now what I want to do is to dump the data I want to store onto a sheet in another workbook.

Sheets ("masterlog data").Select

To address the new Workbook and Sheet I tried

Sheets("C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\STORED\DATA\[masterlog.xls]masterlog data").Select

Needless to say VB doesn't like that.

So what do I do to open to address the workbook I want then open the worksheet I want to apply the data to the location I want?

The coding I have works well at looking up what row is empty then appending the new data.
Cheers
Eric

Answer
Eric,

Since you are using the fullpath to your workbook, I assume it is not open when you run that code.  So you need to open it, make it active, then select the sheet you want in the workbook

Dim sPath as String, bk as Workbook

sPath = "C:\Documents and Settings\Eric\Desktop\STORED\DATA\"
set bk = workbooks.Open(sPath & masterlog.xls)
bk.worksheets("Masterlog data").Activate

Now masterlog data in workbook masterlog.xls should be the active sheet.

If the workbook is already open then

workbooks("Masterlog.xls").Activate
worksheets("Masterlog data").Activate

Hope that answers the question.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy