Excel/Excel 2010 - formula problem

I am trying to find a solution to extract data from a table so long as two criteria match but one of those will change from month to month.

So from the basic table below, I will select the month of March from a drop down listing. Then I want my formula to give me the data by account for that month selected.  

My problem is I don't know how to arrange the formula so that the months column is picked up automatically without having to change the formula each month to pick up the next applicable column.  

The table of data will not be able to be edited to add in new columns.

I hope this makes sense (I have tried to word this as best I can).

Many thanks
Select Month from drop down      Mar          
Table of data.          
Ac No      Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   
1000      52.6   426.8   2.6   5.7   
2000      3.95   100   4587   200   
3000      -36   5   1570   5   
4000      33   145   11   5367   
Required output when March is selected from the drop down.          
1000      2.6          
2000      4587          
3000      1570          
4000      11

assume the month names are in the first row and the dropdown is in M2  and the account numbers are listed in M3 to M6

in cell N3:

then drag fill that down column N.

The A2 in the row function will return a 2 as the second argument to the Offset function (minus 1 from that give a 1).  The offset from the first argument in the offset function is zero based.  so offset($A$1,0,0,1,1) is A1.  Offset($A$1,1,0,1,1) is A2  and offset($A$1,0,1,1,1) is B1 just to illustrate.

That assumed it is picking up accounts in the same order as listed.  If you want to match the account number in M3 then

so there is a match in both the row and column position.

Then select N3 and drag fill down column N.

Tested in with the stated situation and worked for me.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.