Excel/Excel multiple IF function

Question
I am trying to improve a spreadsheet to speed up the costing process, but I am finding it difficult to produce a working multiple IF function.

Basically I need to create an equation so that when a value is entered, the correct value is multiplied by the correct %.

The values are as follows:
<500      = *35%
500-999  = *20%
1000-1499 = *15%
+1500     = *12%

I am really not experienced in excel and have blundered my way through to get to this...

=IF(F10>1500,F10*12%,IF(F10<1500,F10*15%,IF(F10<1000,F10*20%,IF(F10<500,F10*35%,))))

but it doesn't work properly. Could you please correct the problem or suggest another function other than IF.

Thanks!

Answer
Honestly, you'd be much better off using VLOOKUP for this.

However, you could do this with multiple IFs:

=IF(X>=1500,.12,IF(X>=1000,.15,IF(X>=500,.2,.35)))

That should do it... just replace X with your cell, and the value is your multiplier.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Rost