Excel/Excel: need macro that changes cell color after editing it for one week and then backs to default color

Hello, is it possible to change excel cell color after editing it automatically? For any cell in sheet. And after one week it changes back to normal/default color automatically. And all-over again each time.

Right-click the sheet tab, select View Code, enter this:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
   Target.Interior.Color = RGB(192, 192, 192)
   SaveSetting "Color", "Color", Target.Address, Date
End Sub

In the VBE, double-click the "ThisWorkbook" and enter this code (it runs every time the workbook is opened):
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
   Dim Dt As String
   With Sheet1
       For Each thing In .UsedRange
         Dt = GetSetting("Color", "Color", thing.Address)
         If Dt <> "" Then
         If Date >= DateValue(Dt) + 0 Then
         DeleteSetting "Color", "Color", thing.Address
         With thing.Interior
         .Pattern = xlNone
         .TintAndShade = 0
         .PatternTintAndShade = 0
         End With
         End If
         End If
   End With
End Sub

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks