Hi Tom,

I have a formula that works on a number of spreadsheets that I use except for one. I cannot figure out why it is calculating to #value! The error suggests a value is of the wrong data type but I cannot see how or where this is. The formula is: =IF(B23<>B41,"ERROR "&+B23-B41,""). The part of the formula that evaluates to #value!is "ERROR "&+B23-B41. The B23-B41 calculates ok but then the result "error " &1 is where things fail. I am using excel 2010. Do you have any suggestions of what I should be looking for. I have formatted the entire column to general and to currency and still no change.

Thanks for you help!

I can reproduce the error if I have a non-numeric value in either of B23 or B41

However, you say the B23-B41 calculates to a number.  But then that would mean that the concatenation operator can raise that error.  However, I can concatenate "Error" with just about anything except an error value and it works fine.  So I suspect the error is actually in the B23-B41 and that is because of the data in either B23 or B41 or both.

In another cell try just doing

and see what you get.   I really think you have a data problem and the formula is OK.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.