Excel/value returned by formula

Question
Hi Tom

Could you help me with this issue?

I have written a formula which works well apart from one thing.  If the reference cell in worksheet “Sheet2rng” is blank, the formula will return a “0”.  If the reference cell in worksheet, “Sheet2rng” is blank I would like the formula to return a blank.  Is this possible?

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2rng, MATCH($C16,sheet2rows,0), MATCH(O$14,sheet2columns,0)),"")

Thanks in advance.

Chris Mitchell

Answer
Christopher Mitchell,

It is possible but you would need to do something like this.  

=IFERROR(if(INDEX(Sheet2rng, MATCH($C16,sheet2rows,0), MATCH(O$14,sheet2columns,0))="","",INDEX(Sheet2rng, MATCH($C16,sheet2rows,0), MATCH(O$14,sheet2columns,0)),"")

So execute the main part of your formula and see if it returns a "", if so, then show "", else reexecute the main part to return the value.  then next all that inside your IFERROR formula to suppress errors.

If zero is not a legitimate return value (a normal value being returned would never be zero), then you can suppress the display of zeros on your sheet using options in the ribbon.

from help:

Display or hide all zero values on a worksheet
Click the Microsoft Office Button (excel 2007, file menu in excel 2010), click Excel Options, and then click the Advanced category.
Under Display options for this worksheet, select a worksheet, and then do one of the following:
To display zero (0) values in cells, select the Show a zero in cells that have zero value check box.

To display zero values as blank cells, clear the Show a zero in cells that have zero value check box.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy