Excel/VBA Help

Question
I have a worksheet where column B has an if function for when a date reaches within six months the word "ALERT" appears.  I need a pop-up window to say something like "new alert" when a cell in column B changes to "ALERT."  I would really appreciate it if you could tell me exactly how to do this step by step.
I think it is something like this, but I can't seem to get it to work.  I might even be putting it in the wrong place.

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
If Range("B2") = "ALERT" Then MsgBox "New Alert"
End Sub

Please Help.

Answer
Savannah,

right click on the sheet tab where you want this functionality.  Select view code.

Paste in code like this

Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
If Application.CountIf(Me.Columns(2), "ALERT") > 0 Then
  MsgBox "New Alert"
End If
End Sub

then go back to excel

Now your message is New Alert, but this will be displayed every time the worksheet calculates and there is the word Alert found in column B.  

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy