Excel/Working with FREQUENCY Formula

Question
Good day, Mr. Phillips!

I'm using Excel 2010.

I'm working on a simple spreadsheet which tracks Data-Entry from a handful of employees.  The data includes:

COLUMN A = EMPLOYEE NAME
COLUMN B = CLAIM #

The dilemma:  Some claim numbers repeat in column B. A claim could consist of 3 rows, but it is still considered to be 1 claim because the claim number is the same.

My question:  How to obtain a unique claim count from rows B2:B40000 per employee on Column A.

Thank you in advance!!!

Rob

Answer
Hello Rob,

Are you asking for a count of the unique Employee Names in column A? If so, you can use

=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A4000<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A4000,A2:A4000&""))

Or are you wanting to count the number of unique values in column B for that corresponding value in column A? If so, it is a more complex array formula that is needed

=SUM(--(FREQUENCY(IF($A$2:$A$4000=$A2,MATCH($B$2:$B$400,$B$2:$B$400,0)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS($B$2:$B$400))))>0))  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Phillips