Excel/=+cell reference

Hi Tom,
could you help me with the following question: what is difference between using the cell reference starting with "+" in comparison with the one without it. For example, if I want to refer to the cell A1, I can enter =+A1 or just =A1. So, what is the meaning of the "+" in the formula?

Thank you in advance,
Violeta Papic

the + is a remnant of support for the old LOTUS 123 spreadsheet.  In lotus, they indicated a formula by using the + sign.  So if you enter  +A1 in a cell, excel sees that as an indication that this is a formula and will convert that to =+A1 rather than throwing the plus sign away.  

So there really is no difference.  Instead of entering +A1, enter with =A1

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.