Excel/Deleting cells

An example in Excel 10 help shows a Delete button on the home group, Clipboard section.  My Excel does not have that button. My spreadsheet is 7 columns and when I try to delete a partial row of 6 of the 7 cells by using the DEL key, it ask if I want to delete the entire worksheet row.  The choices are “Yes” and “Cancel”  Can you help me? I simply wish to keep all rows in the 7th column intact, Thank you so much.

I'm not 100% sure I follow what you are trying to do here - you certainly wouldn't want to use any clipboard tools to delete cells.  Your question refers to both rows and columns, which may be the problem - if you want to delete data, select the cells and hit delete - this clears the data.  If you want to move cells left, select the cells and right click, choose delete (or use the cells section of the home ribbon to choose delete - or hit ctrl -)

Sorry for the delay in replying - for some reason I didn't get notified of the question appearing.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!