Excel/displaying formula results

I have an issue with a formula.  The problem is not with the syntax of the formula.  The problem is the result of the formula is not displayed.

In Cell BA13 the result of the formula is displayed.  However in the next cell "BA14" the cell is blank, even though it contains a formula that I know works.  

If I click on cell BA13 and go to format/format cells/number/general, the sample box displays the result of the formula.

If I click on cell BA14 and go to format/format cells/number/general, the sample box is blank.

Is this a problem you can help me with?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Mitchell

ANSWER: Chris Mitchell,

Are you sure "" isn't the correct results from the formula.  If you think it should be something else, I can look at your workbook and try to diagnose what is going on.

Tom Ogilvy

I will send the workbook for you to have a closer look.

Chris Mitchell

Christopher Mitchell,

In column BB and BC, you had the font color white - so you could not see what was being returned.

> If I click on cell BA14 and go to format/format cells/number/general, the sample box is blank.

possibly that was the correct result.  

Your formula in BA was not array entered.  So it was returning an incorrect result.  I have modified it and array entered it because the code in Group2 have a space on the end.  I have addapted the test on group2=sheetname!$BA$10 to add a space on the end if the code entered is less than 7 characters.  Otherwise, you need to fix the codes in group2

I also formatted the cells to not have a white font.

(Formulas in BB and BC do not have to be array entered).

Hope that solves the issues.

I will send back the file.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.