Excel/excel

Question
I am trying to count the number of times a date with the abbreviation AHV occurs in a month.  For example; for the month of September, I have the column G4:G55 with dates for the quarter(July, Aug and Sept)and a qualifier of AHV or QHV.  I need to only count the dates in September that have AHV.  I have tried so many ways but I can't seem to get the correct answer, it counted all September dates.

Answer
Diane,

It is unclear what your data looks like

G4:  Sept
H4:  AHV

or

G4:  Sept AHV

for the separate cells then

=Countifs(G4:G55,"Sept",H4:H55,"AHV")

for same cell

=Countifs(G4:G55,"*Sept*",G4:G55,"*AHV*")

I am assuming that in the month you have a string "Sept"

You also use the term dates with reference to G4:G55.  If you truly have a real excel date stored in each of G4:G55 and the qualifier is again in H4:H55, to get September dates

=countifs(G4:G55,">=Sept 1, 2013",G4:G55,"<=Sept 30, 2013",H4:H55,"AHV")

Also, COUNTIFS  (with an S) was introduced in Excel 2007, so you would need to have Excel 2007 or a more recent version.

If none of those solve your problem, then post back with a more detailed explanation of what your data looks like, what it is, and where it is located.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy