Excel/excel spreadsheet

Question
I need to take the average a column of roman numerals (I, II, III)(in medicine we assign a person a roman numeral based on there health).  I have never taken the average of anything in excel except for basic numbers.  I have the file if that would help.  I am so lost. Please help.

thanks so much

Answer
Hello Elizabeth,

Excel does not have a direct formula to convert roman numbes to normal numbers. (Although there's a way to do otherwise)
In order to meet your requirements, we can use one of the following approaches:
1. If the numbers are limited, i.e. within 50 or so, then we can possibly use a Vlookup functionality to convert them to normal numbers and then run the averages.
2. If it is a large number series, then we might have to consider using macros.

Can you send me the range of numbers you use.

Thanks a lot,
Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI