Excel/Pulling ONE field from a new spreadsheet, into a master spreadsheet in a particular field

I have been struggling finding a solution for this.  The scenario is:  every Friday,I export into a spreadsheet a new set of data into multiple files.  I save the spreadsheet and overwrite the previous weeks files.  In a master spreadsheet, I pull 4 different fields into a different field on the master sheet.  For example, W28 to AB3, W28 to AB24.  The to field changes for every field I'm importing.  
Currently I mannually type the numbers in.

Is there a way to save the files (same name as previous week, overwriting the previous files), then open the master and in the field that I need populated, select a macro or something that would import the data appropriately?

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't get your question.
Of course I don't know exactlay what your data looks like, but it sounds as though you might set up your worksheets so that the data you want transferred is coming from and going to the appropriate cells each week.
If your master sheet is set up in advance with formulas that transfer the data appropriately.  
What if the master file contained a formula that transfers the first weeks data to the appropriate cells and then the second weeks data to its appropriatE cells, etc., etc.  In advance of any import you can set up the worksheets and the formulas to transfer the data as you want it to be transferred.  Each week import the data into the appropriate worksheet and the formulas already set up in the master sheet will transfer the data from that weeks work to the appropriate cells.  

So the master file might contain the formula in cell AB3 =WEEK 1'!W28.
In cell AB24 the formula =WEEK 1'!W28.

If set up this way you do not have to change each week and your data from each week will still be available in each weeks worksheet.

I'm sure this might not fit exactly your scenario, but you may be able to incorporate the idea of multiple sheets for each week into what you have and simplify the entire process.

Hope this helps

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant