Excel/Replacing in Excel

Question
Details
Details  
Dear all.
We work in a company who distributes books monthly to bookstores
we have an excel sheet containing our customers name and their corresponding codes.(see image 1)

and each month,we receive an excel report with the sales of these bookstores(Sales VS Customer codes “NOT THEIR NAMES”).(see image 2)

I want to convert these 2 sheets into one sheet containing the customers names(NOT THEIR CODES) Vs their sales directly.

How can I do that

Answer
Dragon..

With no other guidance, I assume, in the third sheet, you want to see an image of sheet2 with the codes replaced by the names.  

Assume the first sheet you show is named sheet1
Assume the second sheet you show is named sheet2

in Sheet3

A2:  =vlookup(Sheet2!$A2,Sheet1!$A:$B,2,False)
B2:  =Sheet2!$B2

select A2:B2 and drag fill down the column until you run out of values.

Note that vlookup returns a #N/A error when it does not find the code it is looking for.  If you believe the code is there, then make sure that the codes are stored the same way in each sheet.  Either they are stored as numbers or they are stored as strings.  for example, 123 <> "123".  The number 123 does not match the text string 123.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy