Excel/Returning top row value of lookup within a grid

Question
I am using Excel 2010

I have a range  A1:D10
Row 1 is titles - the names of a venue
Column A are title - a list of start times

Within the grid B2:D10 will be entered the names of teams;  each team can only appear once in the grid.

I am trying to figure out a formula where I can lookup a team name in the grid, and return the Row 1 value - venue name  (and then a comparable formula where I will lookup the return the Column A value - start time.

I found examples of Match / Index formulas, but while I can get the Match to return a value if there lookup range is a single column or row, I get N/A if my lookup range is the full grid.

Can you help?

Answer
This sounds like a job for VLOOKUP.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Rost