Excel/To change the cell shape in excel.

Hi Stuart,

I have two questions to get clarify, could you kindly clarify the below questions.

1. I want enter two headings in the same cell. one is for Row another one is for Column. So help to create this into excel.

2. Is is possible to change the shape of the particular cell in Excel in order to show some difference for headings.

My version of excel is Excel 2007.

Select cell A1. Type:

Row Name

Hold down the Alt Key and hit Enter on your keyboard. This will create a second row in the same cell. Continue typing:

Col Name

In the Formula bar, select the text Row Name and make the font red by clicking the font color icon on the ribbon. Then select the text Col Name and the font blue. Then hit enter on your keyboard.

Cells in Excel are rectangles. You can change the height and width of the rectangle, but you can't change the shape otherwise.  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.