Excel/Conditional formatting formula

Using Excel 2010.  In Column P2:P2444 there are a variety of dates.  In Column AG2:AG2444, I want the corresponding cells (that are otherwise blank/empty) to fill with red shading if the corresponding date in column P is between two dates. I've spent over an hour trying find something online but without success.  Thanks for your time/help.

You would use conditional formatting

Select AG2:AG2444 with AG2 as the active cell.

go to conditional formatting in the home tab and select new rule

select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"

in the resulting textbox put in a formula like

then click the larger box to select the formatting to apply and select what you want.

OK you way out.

That worked for me.

You could also use something like

where cell M2 will hold the start date and M3 will hold the end date.

If you can't get it to work, send me a sample workbook to and include you question in the email (workbook as an attachment)
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.