Excel/dropdown list

Question
Hi Tom

In column A there is a list of classes.  Every row in column B has a data validation list which contains the list of all of the students in the entire school (3000).

When I click on, say, B3 I only want the students from the class in A3 to appear in the data validation dropdown list.  Is this possible using formulas or might I need.

Chris Mitchell

Answer
Christopher Mitchell,

You could create a separate list somewhere for each class and name that list the same as the class.  Then you could set up the data validation list to use the name of the class to create the dropdown list.  

another way is to write code to build the list.  you would trap the selection of the cell with the selectionchange event

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
' code to build the list
End Sub

this is found in the sheet module of the sheet.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy