i have indexed match data in sheet2.
in sheet1 in c3 i have some formula connected to a3 and b3
in sheet1 in A1 i feeded formula =if(b3=sheet2!$a$2:$a$5,"AVAILABLE",NOT FOUND") it gives error in A1 #VALUE!.

i am trying to match data of sheet1 B3 to the data if available in sheet2 $a$2:$a$5 if its found then shud display AVALABLE in sheet1 A1 or else NOT FOUND

you have mistyped your formula for one thing.

=if(b3=sheet2!$a$2:$a$5,"AVAILABLE",NOT FOUND")
should be
=if(b3=sheet2!$a$2:$a$5,"AVAILABLE","NOT FOUND")

another is that  you can not check to see if multiple cells contain a value by using an equality symbol.  So I suspect what you want is

=if(countif(sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,B3)>0,"AVAILABLE","NOT FOUND")

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.