Excel/Formatting text boxes with scroll bars inserted into Excel

Question
Hello Tom,
I use Excel 2010. I have inserted numerous text boxes and added scroll bars to them as well. Unfortunately, users typing in information are bound by whatever font type I have set in the properties for each cell. Is there a way for users to independently format font properties such as bold type, underline, or font color for individual words? I'm not looking to change everything, just certain words in the text box. The main home toolbar containing font formatting options becomes "grayed out" when typing information into the cell with scroll bars?
Appreciate any insights you have.

Answer
Chris,

There are two types of textboxes.  The ActiveX textbox which supports scroll bars, but does not support Rich Text Formatting (which is what you describe) and Drawing Object Textboxes, which do support Rich Text Formatting for hand entered data but do not have a scrollbar property.

So those are pretty much the choices.   (by the way, the ActiveX textbox did not support rich text formatting even if scrollbars were not chosen).  

With the drawing Object type, you could possibly use an external scroll bar control next to the textbox and manage the textbox with code - but it would be fairly intensive I believe.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy