Excel/Formula and conditional formatting

Question
Hi Tom

I've done this many times and suddenly it's not working.  I would like to conditionally format a range A1:CC5000 based on this criteria.

If cell A7 equals "F" then a particular format is applied.  The formula I am using is:

=A7="F"

Could you help me with this please?

Chris Mitchell

Answer
Christopher Mitchell,

If you selected A1:CC5000  with A1 as the active cell and entered the formula

=A7="F"

and you want that (the value of A7 specifically) to govern all those cells (A1:CC5000) then you should have made A7 absolute

=$A$7="F"

If that isn't the situation, then I would need to know more.

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy