Excel/Formula issue

Hi Tom

I have a workbook with two worksheets: “DataSheet” and “Student_Feedback”.  

In worksheet “DataSheet” there are three ranges FF15:FF1500, FG15:FG1500 and EE15:EE1500.  

In ranges FF15:FF1500 and FG15:FG1500 there is series of numbers.

In range EE15:EE1500 there is a series of names.

On the other worksheet: “Student_Feedback” there are three cells C1, E1 and B2.  

If I type the number from cell FF20 into cell C1 and the number from cell FG20 into cell E1,  I would like the name from cell EE20 to appear in cell B2.

Is there a formula that could achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Mitchell

Chris Mitchell,

Enter this as an Array formula (using Ctrl+Shift+enter rather than just enter) in cell B2 on Sheet Student_Feedback

B2:  =INDEX(DataSheet!$EE:$EE,SMALL(IF((DataSheet!$FF$15:$FF$1500=$C$1)*(DataSheet!$FG$15:$FG$1500=$E$1),ROW($A$15:$A$1500)),1),1)

You can, of course enclose it in IFERROR  to produce what you want if it produces an error.

The only curiosity would be the use of A15:A1500.  I just need a range that will produce the row number of the match.  That on does fine and doesn't depend on whatever might be there.

Also, the first argument of the INDEX function must be the entire row or at least EE1:EE1500 because the Small function is returning the row number.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.