Excel/Query on excel formulas

I am having a excel work sheet which contains two sheets. First sheet contains data received from bank giving details about account numbers and name of employee. Second sheet contains the same data but these details are generated by our organization. I would like to use excel function to identify unique account numbers by comparing account numbers in both sheets

Suppose the data is in two sheets Sheet1 and Sheet2. Also suppose the account# are in column A, starting from cell A2.

This formula gives you either an index number if the account number exists in the other worksheet, or #N/A when it does not:

(Formula for sheet1)

(Formula for sheet2)

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...