Excel/query on excel function

1)I am working in a excel worksheet. Sheet 1 contains data given by a bank containing details of account number and name of the employee.Sheet 2 contains data received from our different units confirming the account numbers and names of the employees. There is difference in number of accounts opened. The accounts opened claimed by bank appear to be greater than our figures for various reasons.We wish to now reconcile and inform the bank which account numbers and the corresponding names of the employee are incorrect by comparing the two worksheets. Note here that the account numbers are similar format in both the worksheets  and not the names of the employees.

2) I have a data containing 5 column.I have applied filter to the data.In one column the name given is incorrect. I want to change the name for all the data.But, when I copy the new name for all the fields for which filter has been applied the data for other cells also change so I have to apply the copy formula for each cell. Pl help.

Vishal Meharwade

1 - In the Bank tab, you can enter a formula like this to see which ones are not in the other tab (called "Units" in this example):
=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Units!$A$1:$A$500,0)),"Not in Units","")
and fill down for all the items in the bank tab.

2 - Not 100% sure what you mean by "..copy the new name for all the fields ...", but if after filtering you select the name column then select visible cells only (goto/special/Visible cells only) then ctrl/enter the new name, you'll only have the cells which are showing get the new value
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks