Excel/Total repairs for a specific date and customer

Question
Hi Tom,

I have a spreadsheet with multiple tabs (1 for each employee). On each employee tab, there are multiple rows, one for invoice they generate for the week. In column C, is the customer name for the invoice, & in column D is the date of the invoice.

There is a separate tab called "Totals", & starting in cell D43, I am trying to calculate the total number of repairs for a particular customer, for a given date. The customer name is located in B43, and the repair date is in A43.

So if there were 10 repairs for a customer named "Alpha" among all the mechanics for 1/1/14, and A43 contains "1/1/14", and B43 contains "Alpha", the number the formula would display in A43 would be "10". If there were 20 repairs for a customer named "Bravo" among all the mechanics for 1/2/14, and A44 contains "1/2/14", and B44 contains "Bravo", the number the formula would display in A44 would be "20". etc...

I have been playing around with the "Countifs" function - but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Answer
Steve,

Revised to show a possible formula if you don't want to send the workbook:

If you want to send me a sample workbook, I can take a look.  You may need to write a separate countifs function and sum them all up but maybe not.  

I assume you are using Excel 2007 or later

you can send the file to twogilvy@msn.com

or you can try this approach

=SUMPRODUCT(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT({"Bob","Jim","Mike"}&"!C2:C100"),$B43,INDIRECT({"Bob","Jim","Mike"}&"!D2:D100"),$A43))

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy