Excel/Tracking Changes

Question
Dear Aidan,

I read an answer from you to one gentleman about tracking changes within an excel workbook, you advised him to check following link: http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=1074

In fact, I have a similar issue but in a different way....
We have a shared drive for our department team, we saved all work related files in that shared drive under different folders, one excel sheet showed mapping of this shared drive, it has a hyperlink to connect us directly to each folder.

My question: Is there a code can help us tracking changed files in that shared drive, means, if one of our team members did some changes on a particular file within the shared drive, can we have a VB code in our mapping excel sheet to record those changes with time and user Id??

Thanks in advance.

Answer
Each file would need to have the macro, as it is the changes to the file that get tracked - but this COULD write to a standard workbook.  NOTE that I've never actually done this, my answer was based purely on research online.  I have used macros to track changes to access databases so I know the principle works.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage