Excel/trimming size of file

Hi Tom

I am trying to reduce the size of my workbook.  I have:

deleted all of the unnecessary worksheets
taken out all unnecessary formatting
removed unused name ranges

I, however, have some several worksheets that have unused space.  For example I have a worksheet that uses only this range A1:K20.

Is there any value in removing the area that I am using and if so how is this done?

Chris Mitchell

Christopher Mitchell

If you go to a sheet and hit F5, then select special and then select last cell.  That shows you want Excel considers to be used in your workbook.  For each cell in the same row and column and to the left of that column and above that row, excel maintains individual information on those cells.  Cells to the right and below are virtual.  To store information, increases the size of the workbook.  So yes, reducing what excel considers as the Used Range will decrease the size of the workbook.  Note that the used range is always a rectangle.  So you can not clear cells here and there and expect any effect.  To reduce you have to select entire rows or entire columns and delete them.  Then save the workbook to effect the change.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.