Excel/vba for excel 2010

i have a table in excel 2010 in sheet 1 as follows:

1-JAN-2014        JOHN          XXXXXXX  
2-JAN-2014        BROWN          XXXXXXX
3-JAN-2014        FRED          XXXXXXX

i need to highlight the entire row showing the actual Date using VBA

You would use conditional formatting

Assume you data is in rows 2 to 100.

Select rows 2 to 100. Within that larger selection, A2 should be the activecell.

go to conditional formatting in the home tab and select new rule

select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format"

in the resulting textbox put in a formula like

then click the larger box to select the formatting to apply and select what you want.

OK your way out.

The trick is that you select all the cells to be formatted at once.  You then write the formula as if only the activecell were selected.  I fix column A in the formula by using $A instead of just A but I don't fix row 2.  So in all the other cells selected, the formula will adjust to check the cell for that row in column A and see if the date there matches todays date.  If it does, then that cell is colored according to the formatting instructions you selected. Making 2 for row 2 a relative reference allows it to change to match each cell it is applied to.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.