Excel/Auto fill with some rules

Question
Exemple
Exemple  
QUESTION: Hello, I need help creating a macro.

I need a macro that when I put a value "Y" in a cell "X" this value causes other cells to auto fill with # until you reach the cell corresponding to the value "Y" in the same line and also this final cell is painted green.

I'll explain a bit the real situation for greater understanding.

Periodically I have to check if some documents have suffered updates, after checking I need to populate a cell with the current revision of the document and then fill some cells with X until you reach the actual review.

For example, if the document is in revision A D, so I'll fill 5 cells that are in sequence 0, A, B, C and D.
Then the cell corresponding to the revision 0 will be filled with X, the cell referring to the revision A will be filled with X and so will everyone else until get to cell for revision D, and this last will be painted green.

I am attaching a picture of the spreadsheet to aid understanding.

I hope you understand and can help me.

I am grateful already, thanks.

ANSWER: If I've understood correctly, http://www.aidanheritage.byethost3.com/excel/ae_autofill_By_Macro.xlsm will give you what you want.  I would suggest using conditional foratting to handle the colour.

An alternative would be to have formulas in place in all cells - example here from B2
=IF(C2="X","X","")

By typing an X in any one cell all the ones to left would then fill via the formula.

explanation
explanation  
QUESTION: Hi Aidan,

That's a very good way but i will still have to fill the cell manually.
I want something more robotic, automatic.

i will try to give a better example.

I fill the cell F5 with "C".
So the value C in this cell means that the cells G5, H5, I5 and J5 will be filled with "X".

Until there i've done, colecting peaces of macros that i found.

My problem is when i erase the column F5 and i lost my data, all the cells G5, H5, I5 and J5 be empty.

I want to write the value in the cell F5 and independent if will erase this cell the cells G5, H5, I5 and J5 will keep filled therefore i fill the cell F5 with another data like B or E.

i will attach an image for you to see.

Answer
I can see that I misunderstood from the first question - I'll try again.  This macro will do what you want I think

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim colvar As Long, rowvar As Long, looper
On Error GoTo exit_sub
If Target.Cells.Count = 1 Then
  If Target.Column = 6 Then
   'need to match the value
   looper = WorksheetFunction.Match(Target.Value, Range("G2:BD2")) + 6
   'colvar now contains the matching row

rowvar = Target.Row
       For colvar = 7 To looper
         Cells(rowvar, colvar).Value = "X"
      Next
       With Cells(rowvar, looper).Interior
         .Color = 5287936
         .Pattern = xlSolid
         .PatternColorIndex = xlAutomatic
         .TintAndShade = 0
         .PatternTintAndShade = 0
       'conditional formatting would work better - shade IF cell has a value and cell to the right has NO value
       End With

End If
End If
exit_sub:
Exit Sub

End Sub

If it helps for any follow ups my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage