Excel/automatic balance

Question
QUESTION: Date   Company Name   Description   Payment   Deposit   Balance
10/2/2014      opening balance          51.00
10/7/2014          coffee          3.00          48.00
10/22/2014          Income          100.00    48.00

its currently 10/7/2014, how can I force the balance to calculate entries on the date the transaction actually happens just like the example I have give. I hope this is enough information.

ANSWER: something like this would do it

=$F$3-SUMIF($A$3:A4,"<="&TODAY(),$D$3:D4)

I've assumed the balance column is F, and that the opening balance is in F3.  The date values are in column A and the payment values in column D - note the use of mixed references - this ensures the formula can be filled down as required.  You would also need to add in a further sumif to add IN the values of deposit, but I felt that the inclusion of this would make the formula harder to follow.  HOPEFULLY this all makes sense, but let me know if I can help further.

question found in question pool, meaning the original expert was unable or unwilling to answer the question.

testing balance updates
testing balance update  
QUESTION: =J7-SUMIFS(H8:H8,F8:F8,"<="&TODAY())+SUMIFS(I8:I8,F8:F8,"<="&TODAY())
it works great. my only issue is that the balance column fills with the last calculated total. I made a photo of the issue. Date is F, and Balance is J. I really do appreciate your help. Thank you.

Answer
I think I probably overcomplicated it in the first place, as you don't really need a sumif as each line stands alone

=IF(ISBLANK(F8),"",J7-IF(F8<=TODAY(),H8,0)+IF(F8<=TODAY(),I8,0))

will give you NOTHING if there is no date in F8, otherwise it will calculate as before.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage