Excel/excel for MAC

Question
Hi Stuart,
I have an extensive boat log book (over 1200 daily entries) that I would like to extract data from. I need a formula cell D1 that looks in column A for a month and year, then in column B to find the captain of that trip (Dennis) and then in column C for the total engines hours for that month (formatted in decimals) So in this instance for the month of Aug-1998 with Dennis as Captain it would return (XX.X hours). (e.g.:total hours with Dennis as Captain for Aug-1998)

Thanks,

Dennis

Answer
I don't use Excel for Mac, I use Excel 2010 for PC. My advice will probably still work for you.

If you want a formula that totals up the hours in col C, for only those rows in which the col A value is Aug-1998 and the col B value is Dennis, the formula is:

=SUMIFS(C:C,A:A,DATEVALUE("Aug-1998"),B:B,"Dennis")

If this isn't what you're looking for, please ask again, and include in your question a very very clear and simple example, being very very precise about EXACTLY what values are entered into which cells.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Stuart Resnick