Excel/formula syntax

Hi Tom

I have two data ranges.  In the first I have students in column A and their class code in column B.

In the second data range, I have Students in column A, Classes in column B and grades in column C.

The first data range in a worksheet entitled "Sheet1" and the second data range in in worksheet "Sheet2"

I wish to write a formula that will look up the students' grades according to the class that they are in.  Is this possible?  If it is it is beyond my expertise.  Could you help me with this?

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Edwards  10/gr2
Patrick  10/gr2
Jones    10/gr2
Edwards  10/ce3
Patrick  10/ce3
Jones    10/ce3
Edwards  10/ct1
Partick  10/ct1
Jones    10/ct1

edwards  10/gr2   5c
Patrick  10/gr2   4c
Jones    10/gr2   7a
Edwards  10/ce3   A
Patrick  10/ce3   C
Jones    10/ce3   D
Edwards  10/ct1   4b
Partick  10/ct1   6a
Jones    10/ct1   5b

Christopher Mitchell,

I put your data in each sheet (as you specified) starting in row 1 (no headers).  I then put this formula in cell C1 of sheet1

I entered it with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since it is an array formula.  I then drag filled it down column C of sheet1.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.