Excel/formula syntax

Question
QUESTION: Hi Tom
I would like to average a range according to the following criteria
BA7 is 7
A1:A1500 is 7
And
The number of cells in column N1:N1500 that are not empty.  However all of the cells in range N1:N1500 contain formulas.  I only want to average the cells for which the formula produces a number or text string.

Could explain how I might achieve this, please?

This is my unsuccessful formula:
=IF(BA$7=7,AVERAGEIFS($T$1:$T$1500,$A$1:$A$1500,7,N1:N1500,<>"")

Thanks in advance

Chris

ANSWER: Christopher Mitchell

I would try this

=IF(BA$7=7,SUMPRODUCT(--($T$1:$T$1500),--($A$1:$A$1500=7),--(LEN(TRIM(N1:N1500))>0)))

--
Tom Ogilvy

QUESTION: Hi Tom

The formula seems to produce a "value" error.  If I send a very small workbook to you, could you test the formula for me?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Answer
Christopher Mitchell,

that would occur if T1:T1500 had cells that were to be averaged that were not numbers.  

In any event, I was rushing to get to a meeting and only gave you the numerator.  The whole formula would be (adjusted to only accept numeric entries in T

=IF(BA$7=7,SUMPRODUCT(IFERROR(--$T$1:$T$1500,0),--($A$1:$A$1500=7),--(LEN(TRIM(N1:N1500))>0))/SUMPRODUCT(--($A$1:$A$1500=7),--(LEN(TRIM(N1:N1500))>0)))

but now it must be entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter

If you want to send me a file, you can but I won't be able to see it for 6 or 7 more hours.

twogilvy@msn.com

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy