Excel/Too Large File

I have a file with 2 sheets - one for input including three tables (formatted as tables) and linked to and serving as dynamic validation lists on the second (and main work) sheet. There are other validation lists that are not dynamic (hard coded)
The second sheet has various formulas on about 2,000 rows and up to column HV with some blank columns between some tables (all unformatted as table on this sheet). Most of these formulas are countifs and sumifs. Formatting of the row headings are 2 colors on alternate columns
The sheet is to log complaints and generate monthly reports by agency reported, gender, nature of incidents, mode of complaints, status of complaints etc
About 6 charts are used to present the same numerical information. These reside on the same sheet

The file has grown so large (to about 6 mb) that inserting a column on a column far away from the areas that have information/formulas results into an error message even on a computer with 8gb RAM
"Excel Cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications"

what do I need to do?

6 Mb is not a very large file (I frequently run on files which are 18Mb & larger).
My guess is you have an erroneous "last cell" on this sheet making it seem larger than need be. Press Ctrl/End and see where it takes you. If your real last column is BB, for example, and the Ctrl/End takes you to column WYY (for example), you need to reset this. One way is to select from one column to the right of the real last column to column XFD, then Delete the columns (ctrl/-) - don't just clear, delete. Then save the file & reopen.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at http://www.thumbtack.com/ny/new-york/excel-training/

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks