Excel/Lookup to different tabs

I have a spreadsheet with 220 tabs, each tab representing a cost centre. Each tab is named with the name of the cost centre.  I then have a summary page with the 220 cost centres summarised in column A (also represented by the name).  In columns B to G I have various summarised information eg column B is titled Occupancy and the information that goes into each cell against each home refers to a cell on the individual cost centre tabs.  Is it possible to create a formula which when copied down from cell B2 to B221 on the summary, will automatically change the tab it looks up to, without having to go through the formulas 220 times and doing a find and replace?

The tabs are given exactly the same name as the 220 names in column A of the summary.

Yes. If you have, for example, this in cell A3:
Cost Center 1
and in B3 you have something like
=VLOOKUP(something,'Cost Center 1'!$A$1:$G$50,6,FALSE)
then you can change the VLOOKUP to:
=VLOOKUP(something,INDIRECT("'" & $A3 & "'!$A$1:$G$50"),6,FALSE)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks