Hi Tom

I am using a sumifs formula to pull in data into my spreadsheet from many other spreadsheets.  The formulas are working fine whilst the other spreadsheets are open, but if they are closed, the formulas are returning a #VALUE message.  Opening all the other spreadsheets open is quite cumbersome, and often causes my Excel to crash. Is it normal that the sumifs formula needs the spreadsheets it is looking in to be open?

Yes that is true for the Sumif/Countif/Sumifs/Countifs/AverageIF  family of functions.  I understand they are based on the DSUM, DAVERAGE family of functions which are original excel functions so perhaps they have never been updated to work with closed workbooks.  But I do know they don't work with closed workbooks.

Possibly you can create a workbook that links to your closed workbooks and reproduces the data to be analyzed in this new workbook (consolidates it).  Then use these copies of the data for your sumifs and countifs.  Or in a new workbook, build pivot tables to your data and structure them to summarize at a level that allows you to use the sumifs or countifs or perhaps produce what you need.

Other than that, you will have to open the linked to workbooks.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.