Excel/updating balance by date

Question
QUESTION: Date          memo          Payment      deposit     balance
10/2/2014     Open balance          50.00    
10/7/2014     Coffee          3.00          47.00    
10/22/2014    Income          100.00      47.00    

How can I make the Balance on My transaction register update the balance by the date.

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

Lets say you have the above data in a sheet where A1 to E1 contain the headings Date, Memo, Payment, Deposit, Balance respectively.

Lets say opening balance is stored in cell E2 and transactions start from row 3 onwards, enter the following formula in cell E3 =E2-C3+D3

Copy this formula throughout column E and you will have a running balance column available.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Gulshan.

QUESTION: Hi Gulshan, I have a running balance. I'm trying to find a way to make the balance column check the dates of the entries before adding them. So a2 shows 10/2/2014, and it calculated it. But a4 is 10/22/2014, that date is in the future.I don't want it to calculate that entry until the date is =today(). I hope that helps.

Answer
Hi Jason,

I'm really sorry for the delayed response. I'm actually travelling and have very limited connectivity.

Can you give me a buzz on my cell phone anytime during the coming weekend and we will try to resolve the issue right away.

Thanks,
Gulshan.
+919980403856
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI