Excel/use same excel date in word mail merge in English and Spanish

Question
I’m merging data from Excel 2010 into Word 2010.  The Word document is bilingual; (English/Spanish). Is there a way to use the same exact excel cell data such as “Thursday, November 13, 2014” and have it appear in the English portion of the document as “Thursday, November 13, 2014”, but in the Spanish portion of the letter edit the merge field so displays as “Jueves, 13 de noviembre 2014”, but remain dynamic in case the date in the excel document changes, which it will.  I tried poking around in the properties/options of the merge field in the Spanish section of the document but didn’t find a way to what I’m describing. I'm trying to avoid creating another column in excel with the same dates but in spanish just to acomodate this need.

Answer
Excel stores the date as a serial number, so in merges you would usually need to use formatting switches to ensure you had the right text appearing - as long as the language of the two areas is set correctly, the switches should then work fine.  You can get the formatting switches by inserting a date field.  HOpefully this makes sense, but do let me know if it needs further explanation.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage