Hi Tom

I have a large body of data in "sheet1" that contains the names of students and their class codes

Classes are selected from the dropdown list in column A worksheet "Choose class"

I need a piece of code that will do the following.

When the code is run only the rows that contain the classes selected will remain.

The data is in "sheet1.  The column with the class codes is entitled "group"

Is this possible?  If it is not a complex piece of code, could you write it for me?

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Christopher Mitchell,

the basic code is

(I assume classes on sheet1 are listed in column B starting in row 2 and there are nothing but classes listed in column B below that point

Sub deleterows()
Dim sh as worksheet, lastrow as long, i as long
Dim sh2 as Worksheet, r2 as Range  ' column A of choose class
set sh2 = worksheets("Choose class")
set r2 = sh2.columns(1)
set sh = worksheets("Sheet1")

lastrow = sh.Cells(sh.rows.count, "B").End(xlup).row
for i = lastrow to 2 step -1
 if application.countif(r2, sh.cells(i, "B").value) = 0 then
 end if
End Sub

test this on a copy of your workbook until you are satisfied it works as expected.

I tested it and it worked for me, but my interpretation of the requirement may be incorrect or inconsistent with what you have stated.

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.