Excel/VBA Efficiency

Question
Hi Stuart,

Would it be faster to reference values stored in a worksheet or to reference values stored in memory?

For example, if I have a small table of data, would operations on that data be faster when objects of each row of that data are stored in a collection in memory, or to reference each cell individually from a separate worksheet?

My intuition is that referencing the worksheet requires the data to be loaded into memory so having the data already in memory would eliminate that procedure.

Thanks for the clarification,
Jesse

Answer
In general, in writing vba procedures, I try to store the reference values in memory rather than on a worksheet. I believe this is most efficient.

If you'd like to send me a very clear and simple example of the type of procedure you're working with, I could be more specific about how I accomplish this.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Stuart Resnick