Excel/Redirecting cell links

[Excel 2010]

Hi Aiden,

I hope you can help me with a puzzle?

I would like to be able to redirect the dependent links of a cell onto another cell.

Let me illustrate the point. Say I have two cells, G15 and G10. Both of these have a number of dependent cells using them as inputs. At this point I want the output of G15 and G10 to be the same (driven by G10) so I set G15 '=G10'. Is there a way of removing this duplication and pointing all the dependent relationships of G15 onto G10 (while not overwriting G10's dependent relationships).

I hope the question makes sense! Let me know if it needs clarifying.

Thank you very much,

Yes, but you'd need to be careful (as long as I've understood the question, which I take to be if a cell references G15 it should NOW reference G10.  Simply do a search and replace, replacing G15 with G10 - as long as your sheet is set out as you've outlined it, you SHOULD be fine to do a replace all.  by default, Excel will look in the formulas, so this will give you what you want.   Having done it, look out quickly for any unexpected errors, and if necessary undo previous action and redo - perhaps one replace at a time.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!