Excel/Cells formatted differently

Hi Tom

I wonder if you can help me.  I have a huge spreadsheet of downloaded data, which grows each time the current months data is added.  My problem is that nominal codes relating to transactions prior to November are formatted as numbers, but after November they are formatted as text.  Future downloads will also be formatted as text.  This is because we changed from Sage 50 to Sage 200 in Nov, and the downloads are formatted differently  My problem is that my pivot table of this data is recognising the two versions of nominal code as two separate items, when really it isn't.  Do you know a quick way I could format the items prior to November as text, ie in the same format that future downloads are going to be?   Just using the format text command dosent seem to work, it seems to want the apostrophe in front of it.

Hope this makes sense

I tested this.

I formatted empty columns on the right as Text

I then copied the cells containing numbers and pasted values into the cells formatted as text.  The pasted numbers were stored as text at that point.  I copied the text formatted cells and pasted them normally back over the original data and they remained text.  

So I would try that since you can work with large amounts of data all at once.  

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.