Excel/Excel 2010 buttons don't work

Mr. Umlas,

I have an Excel 2010 workbook I have been using for over a year with no problem. Today for the first time it won't let me click on the button that fires a macro. The cross you see when the cursor is over the worksheet stays the same when the cursor is over the button. I can go to the macros and fire the macro that way but cannot click on the button. I can't right click on the button to see properties either, instead it gives me the properties for the worksheet, it's like Excel doesn't recognize the button at all. Even if I put a new button on the worksheet it doesn't show up in the VBA editor for that worksheet. When I try to put an Active X control on the worksheet it says "Cannot insert object". I have not changed any general or security settings but went back and checked them and all seem to be the same. I opened the workbook up on a co-worker's computer and it works fine. I checked their security settings to verify mine and they are the same. Any ideas on why Excel on my computer won't recognize the button?

Thank you, Ed

I've been hearing rumors about a patch for Excel that MS put out in December. It has bugs in it which seem to be consistent with what you're coming up against. I suggest you NEVER use ActiveX controls on a worksheet, only in Userforms. Use the Forms Controls instead and you should not have any problems.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks